Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Roasted pumpkin & acorn squash soup

Now that fall is almost over, I've decided to get my act together and post about this yummy fall soup I made. Because this morning I scraped ice off my car and it reminded me that this is happening soon:

And I want to enjoy as many pumpkin and squash recipes as I can until then!

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 small pumpkin
  • 1 small acorn squash (I had a gigantic one so I had a lot of leftover roasted squash to eat)
  • Dry or fresh rosemary, basil, oregano (I used dry rosemary and oregano but fresh basil)
  • Pine nuts
  • 1 apple
  • 2 celery sticks
  • 1 onion
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Cut the squash and pumpkin in half, scoop the insides out and save the pumpkin seeds
  2. Place squash and pumpkin on a baking sheet and cover in olive oil, rosemary, basil, and pine nuts
  3. Roast for 40 minutes
  4. While the squash is roasting, chop up your celery, carrots, apple, onion and garlic
  5. In a large pot, sautée garlic and onion in butter on medium heat, add in the rest of the the vegetables and apples
  6. Pour in 2 cups of water and let it boil. Once the vegetables are soft, add in the roasted vegetable
  7. Blend everything! (I use a handheld blender directly in the pot)
Once it's blended really smooth, leave it on medium heat and add extra salt and pepper or herbs if needed. I added a little bit of curry which everyone loved (except for my mom).

3 comments:

  1. Next time, I will add these to the pumpkin soup; we get huge pumpkin here from our orchard and this soup sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! you should try it, it adds a little something to it :)

      Delete

Popular Posts