But now that Labor Day weekend has passed, summer hours are over, school is back in motion - I'm back on track!
Some things I've learned about food preparation:
1) Think ahead! Make a week-long plan and buy your groceries based on that. Not only will it save you money in the long-run, but you won't stress about not having food ideas.
2) Pack your lunch the night before! I, for one, am way too tired to wake up even 10 minutes earlier in the morning. Pack your lunch the night before and leave it in the fridge. Just don't forget to grab it from the fridge before you leave! I've started putting an alert on my phone to remind me.
3) Portion control. I'm an over-eater, as are most other people I know. We don't know what proper portions mean. I bought containers that have measurements on them to help me gain an understanding of what "one cup" of something really is. (I looked at it and thought I would die of starvation - I didn't.)
4) Snack often, snack healthy.We hear this all the time. Smaller meals, more often. But for me that means an excuse to stuff my face with fries and fuzzy peaches every hour. Make sure you pack filling snacks, like almonds, veggies, fruit, even crackers and cheese.
With that said and done, on to today's lunch!
Warning: BEETS TURN EVERYTHING PINK.
Warning: BEETS TURN EVERYTHING PINK.
| Snacked on peach slices and blueberries. |
| Then had beets, corn, one spinach pie and a meat pie (recipes coming soon!) |
| Yum. |
I will say it was absolutely amazing but I promise, promise, promise I will start taking more appetizing looking photos. My iPhone is failing me!
What a great idea! Everyone needs to pack their lunch as often as they can. You are right about saving money and eating healthy at the same time.
ReplyDeleteWhen my husband first started his job, the company handbook said, "professionals do not brown bag it." So, he wound up eating candy bars for lunch the whole first year!
Thanks for the FoodBuzz friend request! I look forward to seeing more of your ideas.
Great way to make the most out of seasonal peaches and berries. My kids love sliced peaches for snacks. But they're not so appetizing when they're smooshed at the bottom of a bag and the ziplock springs a leak. After the first week of school, the kids have learned to pack their fruit in a hard container.
ReplyDeleteEnjoying your practical ideas.
- AK
@Sandy: Thanks for checking this out! I'm really excited to see what I can come up with. I'm trying to get my whole office & my friends in on this too. We spend too much money on unhealthy food!
ReplyDelete@AKT: I love sliced peaches the most, they add so much flavor to every other fruit! I'm glad you're enjoying this!